Sometimes we experience a sense of stagnation. This can happen in our careers, our relationships and even in our lives. How do you handle this, how do you get “unstuck”?
There have been several times in my life where I felt stuck and action is the only way for me to get “unstuck”. When I think about the times when I had these feelings, there are some common traits:
- Felt as if I had no control over a situation…
- Felt as if I had no choice…
- Felt as if I was alone and could not rely on anyone…
- Felt as if I was not being challenged…
- Felt as if I was not being appreciated…
Do you relate to any of these statements? If so, how have you overcome these feelings?
Are you feeling Stuck?
Photo taken by C Haiss 2012
I can tell you that I have always considered myself conservative, not a risk taker but when I look back, I have actually taken a lot of risks in my life. The times when I have ventured out of my comfort zone and stretched myself, have been the best times for me in hindsight. These times of risk and adventure are the best medicine for me to feel “unstuck”.
Taking action makes me feel better instantly. If I take action on a problem or situation, I start to feel the mental juices flowing and I start to see the infinite possibilities that are out there.
Let me give you an example. About 17 years ago I wanted to relocate back to my home state of Maryland. I was recently divorced, with two young kids and felt stuck in a job and in a state far away from my family and support systems. I picked up the phone and called everyone I could think of and asked for a job – just so I could get back home. I landed a job with a small printing company selling business cards, brochures etc – the job came with a very low base salary and the rest was commission based.
My family and friends were all nervous for me (or I should say in addition to me) about the commission part of the job. My new boss gave me a desk and a phone book and suggested I make 50 cold calls a day. Wow, talk about a hard way to make a living! I challenged myself, I was diligent and I was able to outperform the other new sales people by a pretty good margin. Within just 9 months of this job change, I was able to get a job for a small software reseller for a much larger base salary and commission package. The step back and the risk forced me to push and work hard – within two years I was making significantly more money than the original job out of state. If I had listened to all the doubt and fear in my head, I never would have been able to “unstuck” myself and make such a good move for me and my family.
Here are some of the ways I recommend taking action if you are feeling stuck:
- Talk to your friends and family – you are not alone and they can be a great support system
- Review what jobs you have been successful at in the past and try to find a job with similar tasks.
- Exercise – exercise stimulates the brain and also keeps you healthy
- Try new things – take a workshop, do an online class, subscribe to a new magazine and teach yourself new skills
- Be willing to take chances – “nothing ventured, nothing gained.” It is amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it!
- Set the bar high – dream big!
- Hire a Business coach (like me) to help you set and achieve your goals
- Most importantly – Take action – any action to move you forward and get you “unstuck”.
Good luck and know that I am here to help if you like.